The fifth level on the spiral is Stage Orange. It emerges when the oppressive and restrictive essence of Stage Blue becomes too extreme. Yet, the orderly Stage Blue gives a safe and stable foundation for Stage Orange to develop and grow.
Individuals at Stage Orange are looking for a sense of freedom which was withheld from them at Stage Blue. Their need for self-determination arises (as seen in Stage Red), and you’ll see the enhancement of ambition and individuality as they break away from the herd.
There is a swift move away from mystical beliefs into more evidence-based thinking and scientific discoveries. They tend to lose sight of the sacred and spirituality within themselves and start leaning towards materialism and what we know as capitalism.
Orange is highly competitive and strives for success. They take responsibility for their welfare and security and tend to look down on those who rely on others, such as the government benefits system and ‘lower classes’.
Examples of Orange personalities or entities include Ayn Rand, Napoleon Hill, Cosmetic and Fashion Industries, Trophy Hunting, Breast Implants and Forbes Magazine. ‘Typical’ Republicans and Donald Trump are also examples of Orange. Today’s society is dominated by Orange, which represents around 40% of the adult population and holds 30% of the power.
Orange businesses, governments and corporations dominate the lives of most of the world population, regardless of whether they or their country is Orange itself. Orange’s influence is global.
The Origin Of Stage Orange
Stage Blue originated 2500 years ago in the geographical location of Greece. Its founders were many of the Western philosophers: Thales, Pythagoras, Socrates, Plato, Aristotle and Ptolemy.
Point of Gravity
The essence of Stage Orange is autonomy, self-interest and materialism. The purpose of their life is to compete and win material pleasures, wealth and power. Its tagline is “Act in your own self-interest by playing the game to win.”
Stage Orange Slogans or Phrases
- “When you want to do it, you can do it”
- “Winning isn’t everything, it’s the only thing” – Vince Lombardi
- “Religion has caused more harm than any other idea since the beginning of time. There is nothing good I can say about it. People use it as a crutch” – Larry Flynt
- “Kill two birds with one stone”
- “I do not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- “For every disadvantage, there is an advantage”
- “The beauty of me is that I’m very rich” – Donald Trump
Characteristics of Stage Orange
The following characteristics are often observed at Orange:
- Orange has a strong faith in science and rationality
- Individuals at Orange seek a life of material wealth and abundance
- Societies at Orange tend to have developed human rights laws, legal freedoms, free markets and capitalistic democracies
- Orange are very success-driven and competition-driven individuals
- Orange is very goal-orientated
- Orange values competence, optimism and charisma
- Orange values personal freedom and independence and believes everyone should strive towards this
- Orange are very ‘looks-focused’ and value beauty
- Orange is usually very ‘anti-religious’
- Orange values sex, money and material luxuries
- Orange’s relationships can be very transactional; once they get what they want, then the relationship is over
Healthy Manifestations of Stage Orange:
Those at Stage Orange show the following healthy manifestations or characteristics:
- Individuals at Stage Orange can think strategically
- Orange are very entrepreneurial people
- Those at Stage Orange are great problem-solvers
- Orange has the ability to take care of themselves and their families
Unhealthy Manifestations of Stage Orange:
Unhealthy manifestations of Stage Orange:
- Orange may exploit the living environment for material gain. Orange can be manipulative.
- Orange can lose sight of nature and the humanistic aspect.
- Orange has little critical thinking when it comes to scientific foundations, leading to ‘Scientism.’
- Orange is happy to can exploit other people.
- Orange can be blind to the suffering of other people.
Moving from Stage Orange to Stage Green
After living in Orange, individuals may feel a lack of depth from the capitalistic, materialistic core. It longs for meaning within human spirit and nature. Orange individuals then evolve into Stage Green; which is stage 2 of the Seven Stages of Authenticity. As they move into this stage, Greens tend to resent a lot of what Orange values.
Gratitude to Don Beck, Chris Cowan and Clare Graves for the gift of this work.